Thursday, April 28, 2005

The curious incident of the coffee at lunchtime

Sometimes things happen in life that you just couldn't make up. Here is one of those situations...

Today I grabbed a coffee from the refectory and headed down to the electronic music studios where I do most of my work. I placed my coffee on the table next to the mixing desk (!) and started to get to work. (Actually, I was surfing the 'net, but that's academic) The next thig I know I have managed to knock over my coffee in the space between the mixing desk and the computer keyboard. These are two fairly anti-coffee pieces of equipment, so it was damn lucky that the coffee missed both of them. However, the mocha puddle started to spread towards both. Let me tell you all now that there are large signs all over the studio warning students that food and drink are most definitely NOT allowed. Eager to sort out the mess before the studio manager saw, I looked around for anything with which I could mop the offending liquid up. Nothing. Except. My Shirt.
This was not a particularly palatable option, but the spread was getting faster, so I really had no option. I whipped my shirt off and smothered the coffee. Phew! But what do I do now? At this precise moment, Ian, the studio manager comes in the door, slightly confused and by his expression, a bit scared too. "I spilt my coffee", I said, "and my shirt was the only thing to hand". So there I am, shirtless, explaining myself, feeling like a complete and utter moron.
Ian kindly offered me a spare shirt he had for 'emergencies' (?), which turned out to be the most vile, loud hawaiian monstrosity I have seen for quite some time and I walked back through New Cross with my head hung low. On my return (mainly to return the shirt), I received some quite odd looks from members of the music department. I would have liked to thought that Ian could have been a little more discreet about the situation, but instead, the gossiping git told everyone. I wouldn't be surprised if he sent an email to all the staff...

1 Comments:

Blogger debibo said...

Brilliant. You should continue wearing that shirt as your trademark summer shirt :)

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home