Monday, April 04, 2005

Thatcham vs. New Cross

After yesterday's musings on where I belong, I took some time to think about my current living arrangements and found some interesting parallels.
They are two fairly contemptable places, but for quite different reasons. Thatcham is kind of an add-on to Newbury (Hoity-toity racecourse town) and hence likes to deceive itself into the impression that it's a nice, civilized part of England, where everybody leaves their front doors unlocked and kids play hula-hoop in the middle of the road. But no. Let me show you a picture of something that happened in my home town of Thatcham... (Picture from BBC.co.uk)

harpoonface
The incorrect way to remove a contact lens

Yes, that is a picture of a harpoon in someone's face. Nice, huh? OK, so it isn't representative of what normally happens in Thatcham, but it doesn nicely highlight my point that Thatcham is a town in contradiction.
New Cross is also a bit of a contradition. It masquerades as a bit of a dive, where you consistently risk your life out on the street. First impressions do tell you that, such as the car wrapped around a lamp post outside my residence, the perpetual garden fires and offers of drugs. But it really isn't as bad as all that. If you look hard, you can find friendly corners of New Cross, where people are kindly and you don't feel threatened. Indeed, some people even profess to quite like New Cross and a CD of local bands has been released, aptly titled "I love New Cross". I'd wager that nobody ever made a CD called "I love Thatcham". OK, well maybe I am talking New Cross up a little. Bad things do happen, I'm sure, but it does seem like a place for which people feel something. I think these feelings are hidden somewhat by the facade of danger and dereliction.

ilovenewcross
Because somebody stole the plug...

Now if only the positive traits of both places merged, you might find a place where it looks like a nice place and actually, it is. A place for which people profess their love, a place where people don't get harpoons stuck in their face and a place where you don't fear for your wallet. A place where you can leave your front door unlocked and play hula-hoop in the road. Sounds great...

2 Comments:

Blogger debibo said...

Haa, haa, haa, haa, hahahahahahaha.... can't stop grinning so you've made my day. Thatcham; it's no where Thatcher's from, no? Woo hoo, we're going hooome! Wonder if you'll make a good housemate...

7:01 AM  
Blogger debibo said...

sigh, am bored too. So decided to read ur blog again as we're not allowed to read books while 'on duty.'

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home