Sunday, April 10, 2005

I'm so confused...

I have returned back to my 'native' Thatcham for a few days to relax and also work on my aforementioned composition, largely because it's more relaxed and hence, easier to work here. But I have been thinking about Thatcham and London. If you've been reading my blogs, you'll see that I've already written on Thatcham and New Cross, so this is kind of an extension. Maybe I'm a little confused.
I was invited to see Idlewild play at the Reading Hexagon with some friends on Friday. Actually, my invitation came at about 8:20pm, forty minutes before Idlewild were due on stage, so I had a mad dash to get from Thatcham to Reading in time. On the way to the train station, a full snow storm brewed and I arrived at the station covered from head to toe in snow. A sole figure stood at the station and apparently amused by my snowy state, piped up a conversation with me about how ridiculous the weather was. Not conversational gold, I grant you, but it was pleasant and made me smile about how kindly some people can be in Thatcham.
Anyway, I arrive at the theatre a little later. Let me tell you now that the Hexagon theatre has the most stringent anti-fun policies this side of Strangeways. Large posters on the door warned, "Crowd surfers WILL be ejected". A little harsh, I think. Inside, I got my ticket from a very friendly box office worker and made my way to my seat. Very large NO SMOKING signs adorned the theatre. OK, I'm not too bothered by that, but every other gig venue I've been to so far hasn't minded. Next, impressed by a particular series of lighting effects, I decided to take a picture with my mobile phone, after which, a rather self important security guard went well out of her way to tell me off for doing so. Why, for heaven's sake? Do the Hexagon think I'm going to sell a poor quality phone picture that was taken as a small momento of the evening? I have to admit, that really hacked me off!! After the gig, a friend told me that he'd been told in the bar to finish his pint quickly, because taking drinks in the theatre was not allowed (I personally think that the Hexagon would have said PROHIBITED!!!) Anyway, the gig was excellent. Idlewild put in a great performance and I'm pleased I went. I am, however, mildly confused by the mixture of kind people and threatening politics.
And so what about London? On that score, I don't know either. I regularly see people give up their seats on tubes for other people and I've also seen mad dashes for the same seats. I've witnessed kind acts on the streets, but also experiences the lonliness and indifference of London. I guess this one is going to take a little longer to work out than I expected...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think peoples attitudes to others has anything to do with geographic location mate. Some people are helpful, some aren't.

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home