Wednesday, July 12, 2006

4' 33" - London, England @ 9pm BST

I didn't perform in movements, but rather a continuous 4' 33". Some of the sounds were pretty constant, others frequent yet not constant, and others occurred only once or twice. This is how I shall list the performance.

Constant

People walking - At different speeds, and with different shoes. Frequent 'scuffing'. It was interesting when people crossed infront of me. An interesting 'panning' effect ensued.
People talking - People of all ages. This was usually a constant murmur, but there were also frequent close up conversations. (Including a German couple, and an American girl talking about ballet)
A group of musicians playing wooden gongs - A mix between the Gamelan and a Xylophone. It was interesting.

Frequent, but not constant

Trains passing across the bridge from Waterloo East to Charing Cross - This was a metal rhythmic rumble, accompanied by metal against metal screeches, and the usual b-dum, b-dum, b-dum... They always came from behind to infront, on the left.
Traffic from across the Thames - You'd think this'd be constant, but it ended up coming into earshot when there was a lull in aural activity on the South Bank.
Cyclists - Usually travelling across and infront of me.
Laughing - All ages and sexes, with many distant, a few close up.

Infrequent (Once or twice)

A buggy passing from left to right. Infront of me.
A man to my right, fairly close, rattling his keys in his pocket
Seagulls squarking over the Thames
Cutlery being placed on an outside restaurant table behind me. Distant.
A baby crying. Distant
Coughing. Happened a couple of times, both infront and medium close. Male and Female.
A reed wind instrument. Possibly middle eastern. Quite an interesting tonal quality.

This was quite a lively sound, although relaxing. I liked hearing different languages being spoken, and also the two musical instruments being played - which were not in western! I could have stayed there much longer, in fact, so much was I enjoying the experience, but I had to move on. I made it back home by 10pm. Damn tube.

Performance & Notes - Iain
It was performed on a bench in between the Royal Festival Hall and the Thames. Here is a photo (not by me).
* Wondered why I said London, England, rather than London, UK? Well, I don't really know. Maybe I want to express my Englishness, maybe not. :)
* Be sure to carry on reading below for Chinelo's performance. Thanks for those, Chin! I'm glad you enjoyed the performance!! :)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it » » »

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home