Monday, July 10, 2006

Carsten Nicolai, Ryuichi Sakamoto & John Cage

Today I bowed to temptation, and bought an album by Carsten Nicolai (aka. Alva Noto) and Ryuichi Sakamoto on the iTunes store. It's awesome. Somehow, as I travelled around London, listening to the said record on my mp3 player of choice, spending more time than is considered acceptable getting from Stockwell to Shepherd's Bush, I was sent into calm, caught between a deep concentration, and a consideration of the super-imposed soundtrack to an afternoon. I like it when music can effect you in that way.
If any of you are at all interested, the record is called Insen. Buy it. But only if you can afford it. ;)

I think I spend so much time listening at work (well, it is my job!), that I haven't properly listened for a long time. I was thinking about this today, as I considered again the making of a mix CD for a friend. In the past, I have had a tendency to 'tone down' the content of my mix CD's, because I'm not sure the listener would be appreciative of the supposedly 'wierd' music to which I listen. There are a few exceptions to this. But maybe I won't in the future. Maybe instead, I'll include instructions for listening. I reckon most people who listen to music these days never really listen to music, in and of itself. They instead use it as background noise, a soundtrack to their activity. I know I have said in this post that I spent the day listening to music on my 'mp3 player of choice', but I think if we only listen to music like this, we miss out. One of the joys of listening, and the art of listening, is that you find yourself hearing things you'd never heard before, and developing a passion to listen more. You become interested in how sounds are. That's one of the reasons I appreciate Cage's music so much, I guess. And Feldman, also.

OK, here's an idea for y'all. On Tuesday Evening (to give you time to read this post - maybe I'll also find out how many do read it!) at 9pm BST (8pm GMT), I'm going to perform for myself 4'33" by John Cage. I'd like people who are willing, and who read this blog to do the same, at the same time. If you don't know what this is, then basically, it involves listening, for 4 minutes and 33 seconds, to the sounds you can hear. Technically speaking, the piece is in 3 movements, but I don't think it's so important to do this. Let's say, if you want a break from listening, at any two points in the listening, stop, and start again as the next movement. You don't have to go anywhere special (but you can if you want to!), or sit down, or stand up. Just be still and listen
Then, once you've completed the performance/listening, mail me, at iainfarnsworth@yahoo.co.uk, about your performance - what you heard, if you enjoyed it, what you found interesting, etc. And I'll post the performance notes on this blog. I'll be interested to hear about your performances!! Happy Listening! :)

OK, Bed. Goodnight and God Bless!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Iain said...

I'm sorry about that Kelly. I'll try to make the next one later for you. Or you could still do it, but when you get up, and I'll still post the comments. It's up to you! :)

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work » »

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home