Saturday, July 01, 2006

Snippets no.2 (Pinch, punch...)

's been a while since I last posted. Sorry guys. Seems like I do have stuff to say, but I'm really not very good at doing it. Until I have a few hours to compose a well thought through post, these snippets will have to suffice for the moment. Either that, or lyrics from musicals, "the highest form of art". Hehe.. Actually, Jess wasn't too far off when she said that! (Sorry, I think maybe some context is important here: Jess in an ex-flatmate from the 'Chesterman 8' days, who I think developed a liking for winding me up. After a week, I just got used to it.) Anyway, I think that although Jess may well have liked musicals, I seriously doubt that she really thought that they are the highest form of art. I think maybe she wanted to wind me up. However, it wouldn't be unreasonable to describe musicals as a popularised form of opera. Although this is a sweeping statement, I will say it: "Opera for the masses." Thing with opera is that it is described by some as 'total art', that is, the highest, and most complete form of art available, because of it's accumilation of all the major art forms in one performance. Wagner was the first apologist for this thought. This is what Wikipedia had to say about it..

"He firmly believed that each breed of art, including visual, dramatic, and, most fundamental, musical, working cooperatively would result in the most powerful transcendence and reckoning of the human condition."

And seeing as the musical is pretty much bastardised opera, I guess calling it "the highest form of art" isn't too far off the mark. According to Wagner anyway. And I never thought much of his work anyway...

*************************


I've been working really hard at work recently. Actually, this week, I've been overloaded with stuff to do, to the point that I've been having to go home quite late on a few occasions. Anyway, it hasn't really finished yet, either! I still have some stuff that I should have finished by now, but due to various other 'more pressing' jobs to do, I've had to put them to one side for the moment. So, I have decided to go into work tomorrow (!) to catch up on all the stuff I'm behind on, so that come Monday, I'm not stressed or having to make excuses. I think the main reason that I've felt so stressed and rushed at work is simply because of the piling up of work. So tomorrow is really cleaning up my work life. I think it'll help, in the long term. I can't go on feeling manic at work. Hopefully, it'll pay dividends in being more able to rest at home also. Anyway, that wasn't what I wanted to say...
I went to the NFT with some colleagues the other day. Any other week would've been better, to be honest, but it started at 8:30, so I was able to do the work I wanted to do before I went. I went to see a music video screening called "Antenna", which plays lesser-seen music videos. It was pretty cool! It's been ages since I've done anything like go to a concert or a art showing, or anything like that, so it was really nice to do so. I picked up a programme on the way out, and noticed the UK Premiere of the film "Danielson: A Family Movie"!!! It's showing on the 8th July, and I must go! It'll be ahsome!! I really must give a nod to Chin, who turned me onto Danielson in the first place. Cheers Chinny!! I remember when I went to see Bro. Danielson at the ICA with Chinelo, which must've been over a year ago now. It was pretty great, with too many cool and peculiar sights and sounds to list hear, but I will say that Chin and I waited outside the ICA for a while after the gig, and met the Hush the Many guys (again), who were lovely, and also Bro. Danielson himself! He was packing his stuff into his car, when we walked over, and I was like, "Yo, Bro. Danielson!" And he was all like, "hello?", after which a sort of conversation about nothing happened. I think Chin thought it was quite funny, and I felt a bit like a stalker, hanging around after gigs to meet the band.
That was fun.

*************************


Today's palindrome is "Yo, banana boy!"
I have been listening to "Rock Bottom Riser" by Smog and "The Only One" by Readymade FC whilst writing this post, and below is a picture of my expression whilst doing so. Goodnight!

Self Portrait #2

3 Comments:

Blogger Chinelo said...

Somebody will not be hono(u)ring the Sabbath....

You're right, you must go to Danielson: A Family Movie, and then you must promptly detail the entire experience to me so that I may live vicariously through you. And stalking is funny! London's always been a better market for The Danielson Famile than Minneapolis, which still don't entirely get. Love the movie as I would have loved the movie, and there will be joy....

Oh, and well done, ol' chap, on ‘legitimising’ Jess' comment!

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! » » »

3:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool design! Useful information. Go on! House and building insurance farmers insurance exchange travel insurance discover nissan key chains north dakota trip insurance New moscow frontier airlines Farmers insurance nv

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home