Sunday, November 06, 2005

A year in music - 2005

Everybody knows that music can evoke strong memories. I find it fascinating. It places one mentally straight back to where they once were and I really enjoy it. It's somewhat nostalgic, it can be a bit sad and also equally exhilirating. So, I'm going to document some of the past few years in music for you all to see. This time, it's this year - 2005!! Here goes...

Happiness - Elliott Smith

This song does not yet evoke any memories, but I'm damn sure it will. It's the one song I've listened to more of in the last two weeks and has captured my feelings of misery and defiance in one.
"What I used to be will pass away and then you see / All I want now is happiness for you and me."
OK, I'm not sure I should be thinking like this, but perhaps it's OK to be really open and honest in this blog, because let's face it, the only people who read it are those who know me really well anyway!!

Little Arithmetics - dEUS

The sound of failure. This is actually a pretty happy song, but it was on a fellow musicians iTunes shared list on Music department's network, and I liked it. I cannot hear this song without being haunted by the thoughts of my 'Tube Music' efforts - a piece of music I have not yet finished and continues to irritate the hell out of me. When it is finished, I reckon this song should be played as an intro...

Pictures of Me - Elliott Smith

...trudges along with a kind of faux-optimism with a bit of anger. Songs to me seem to evoke more emotion if the lyrics fit, or at least some of them...
"So sick and tired of all these pictures of me. Completely wrong, totally wrong."
Yeah. I felt a little misunderstood by lecturers at Goldsmiths'. Few of them seemed to understand that my own personal composition development was moving fast and I had a lot to consider. That affected my work in an adverse way. As you'll all know, I haven't yet passed my degree, and I'm sure some people still think this was down to sheer laziness. They were, and are ,wrong. Completely wrong, totally wrong.

Beautiful Child - Rufus Wainwright

Takes me back to the European Cup Final. Liverpool vs. AC Milan. (Note to anyone who does not know - I have been a bit of a hardcore Liverpool FC fan for as long as I can remember) What an awesome night!! I travelled home from London purely to watch the game with my brother in Newbury and arrived late. Just in time though to see Milan put in their third of the first half. I got a couple of pints from the bar and awaited a bit more of a thumping and a dejected journey home. I instead witness an amazing turn around and Liverpool win their first European cup since 1984. I went a bit crazy, but it was just fantastic. This song was played in my iPod that night, only by coincidence, but had all the victoriousness of that night. Fantastic.

Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk (Reprise) - Rufus Wainwright

This one's for my favourite ex-flatmate :-) I bought 'Poses' by Rufus Wainwright at the beginning of the year and liked all of the songs, but I admitted that I often skipped though tracks and I didn't listen to this, the last track. Conversation regarding this decision ensued and the tune, rather irritatingly, became lodged in my head for a good while as a result. So now, whenever I hear it, it now reminds me of those Chesterman 8 days!!

Anyhoo, that's enough for now. Maybe some more later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home