Sunday, July 24, 2005

An answer for Alison

Acquaintance Alison, friend of my good friend (and fellow composer) Ben Kamen, (I do not know her surname, apologies) asked me recently to describe what music I compose, in one sentence. I spent a long time thinking on this and gave a rather trite answer, which did not satisfy the said acquaintance's interest. Ben ascribed my response to a lack of understanding what music I compose. I must confess that at the time, he was indeed correct. However, I have had time to think on this and have finally produced an answer which should please Alison, in that it is, if not genre-focused, at least conclusive.
Having recently re-thought the plethora of musical possibilities open to me, I realise that while it may by a good thing to commit to the development of only one or two ideas in any composition (in order to preserve a musical coherence), it would be no less than foolish of me to narrow the potential of musical creativity available to me by deciding upon a particular music to compose. I think this is especially important as a student composer, who has more opportunity to be truly creative in musical thought than one who receives regular commissions (although that would be nice!!). Instead, I decide to gaze upon all my musical materials and wonder how I might compose them. This experience is both wonderfully exciting and daunting. I have silence as a canvas and it would be unfortunate to always fill it with the same sound, so I fully intend to experiment. Not with numbers or computers, which are preparatory to sound, but with sound itself. I do not believe this makes me an "experimental" composer, but simply a composer who enjoys a compositional liberty, that comes from the knowledge that he has the opportunity to be truly creative.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home