Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Steven Gerrard, Liverpool and London

I'm sorry it's been such a long time since I last posted. I guess I haven't really felt like talking much, hence I didn't post. For all of you who might be wondering.. I'm doing OK.
I can't deny that I'm feeling rather smug today. This is down to two things:

1. Steven Gerrard decides to stay at Liverpool. I am naturally pleased at this news, he's a great player and I think we really need him. I was fairly irritated yesterday because it seemed quite likely that Chelsea would get him. Well, it was irritating full-stop that he might be leaving, but I especially despise Chelsea FC. I don't deny that the football industry now is heavily money orientated, but I really feel that Chelsea effectively bought the Premiership with a Russian oligarch's bottomless pit of cash. The privilege of being able to attract world-class players had nothing to do with a great team spirit or form or whatever, but a flash of cash. And the idea of them effectively hijacking one of our best and most inspirational players really wound me up. But it transpires he cannot leave the club he loves. That's great, just the kind of team spirit that I always thought held Liverpool together and united fans. Awesome.
2. London are to host the 2012 Olympics. More great news. Apart from all the usual "great for the city and the country, blah blah blah..", I guess there's some satisfaction seeing London win over Paris, not because Paris wouldn't have been a great place to host the Olympics, because I'm sure they would have been, but in light of M. Chirac's frankly moronic and xenophobic comments regarding Britain’s cooking and reputation for trustworthiness. That does sound a little bitter, doesn't it? But rest assured, I'm not having a pop at the French, just Chirac.

I'm sorry if I sound a little nasty. That isn't my intention. In fact, what irritated me a little today was the comparison drawn by some idiot hack in the Evening Standard, of the Battle of Trafalgar and the "Battle of Singapore" (where the vote happened today). What a moron! I really don't like that kind of one-up-manship where the main focus isn't achieving, but simply outdoing a rival, regardless of one's own success. I am genuinely pleased without having to resort to that attitude.

However, I assume if Jacques comes to the 2012 Olympics, he'll bring a packed lunch...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home